Time for another issue of the Android Dev Newsletter 🗞️
This time, as you can probably guess, it’s all about this year’s Google I/O 💪
If these links don't work in your email client, try reading this issue on my website.
1) What’s new in Android 🎬
2) What’s new in Jetpack Compose
3) What’s new in Android Performance — Google I/O 2023 edition
4) Introducing the Android Design Hub: The ultimate resource for building exceptional user interfaces across all form factors
5) Introducing the Watch Face Format for Wear OS
6) What's new in Kotlin 1.8.20
7) Kotlin Coroutines v1.7.0 released
1) This video is a summary of this year's Google I/O in terms of new things and updates that are coming to Android. Definitely worth watching if you want to have a quick glance on the changes.
2) Have a look at what is new in Jetpack Compose specifically. Wanna learn more about upcoming changes and a new way of creating widgets with Compose? Definitely check out this article ✅
🔗 What’s new in Jetpack Compose
3) In this article, Google shares the latest developments in the Android Performance area. It covers Baseline Profiles, tooling improvements within Android Studio, libraries, and many improvements.
🔗 What’s new in Android Performance — Google I/O 2023 edition
4) The design hub is a comprehensive resource with opinionated guidance designed to empower designers and developers like you to create stunning and user-friendly interfaces for Android apps. It's all about sharing takeaways, examples and do’s and don’ts, starter Figma kits, UI samples, and inspiring galleries.
🔗 Introducing the Android Design Hub: The ultimate resource for building exceptional user interfaces across all form factors
5) Google has worked in partnership with Samsung to introduce a new way to build watch faces for Wear OS smartwatches. The Watch Face Format is a declarative XML format to design the appearance and behavior of watch faces. This means that there is no executable code involved in creating a watch face, and there will be no code embedded in your watch face APK.
🔗 Introducing the Watch Face Format for Wear OS
6) The Kotlin 1.8.20 release is out and here are some of its biggest highlights:
- New Kotlin K2 compiler updates
- New experimental Kotlin/Wasm target
- New JVM incremental compilation by default in Gradle
- And much more, check out the article to read about all updates! 👇
7) Last week Kotlin Coroutines v1.7.0 was released, including many Core API improvements, changes and bug fixes. Have a look at the release summary below to learn more.
🔗 Kotlin Coroutines v1.7.0 released
That’s all for today. Don’t forget to recommend this Newsletter to a friend or someone who might be interested 😊
Thanks for reading and see you at the next one!
All the best,
patrykkosieradzki.com | androiddevnews.com | androidtalks.com
Would you like to ask me something?
Just answer this email and I will be happy to get back to you!
If you’d like to read previous issues, please visit the archive on my website.